WHAT ARE ORTHOTICS
An orthotic is a corrective medical support worn inside a shoe, to support, align, prevent and accommodate foot deformities and improve the function or foot.
They are prescribed medical devices to correct biomechanical foot issues for example problems with how you walk, stand, or run.
When appropriately prescribed to treat a medical condition and custom-made for you, orthotics can decrease pain, not only in your feet, but more commonly in other parts of the body, such as your knees, hips and lower back.
They work in a similar way to braces on your teeth, by gently exerting pressure on your feet to bring them back into proper alignment.
HOW DO ORTHOTICS HELP
Custom Made Orthotics help in several ways
- Supporting and relieving pressure from muscles, tendons and the small joints of the feet by rising and supporting the arch of the foot
- Improving alignment through the foot and leg which helps rebalance pressure and reduce strain on muscles and joints further up the leg
- Improved shock absorption for athletes and those that are on their feet at work
- Reducing strain on damaged joints such as the knee where arthritis exists
- Controlling excessive movement of your foot inwards or outwards known as Pronation/Supination
- Offering support and allieviating pressure off foot deformities that cause pain for example Bunions
- Offering enhanced support following foot, ankle or lower leg fractures or surgery
AN ORTHOTIC EVALUATION INCLUDES
- A detailed history of your complaint
- A detailed physical examination of your feet and lower legs
- A state of the art computerised gait scan, which provides a comprehensive biomechanical evaluation for each patient. This evaluates many important aspects of how you walk, bear weight and transfer pressure through your feet to assist in effective diagnosis and prescription of orthotics where necessary.
MAKING THE CUSTOM MADE ORTHOTIC
Once you have been evaluated and diagnosed your scan is sent to the laboratory along with your diagnosis so that your custom made orthotics can be manufactured and this will take approx. 2-3 weeks.
COMMON CONDITIONS TREATED BY ORTHOTICS INCLUDE
- Heel Pain (Plantar Fascitis)
- Fallen Arches with pain
- Recurrent Ankle sprains
- Osteoarthritis of the knee, hip, ankle
- Knee pain
- Achilles tendonitis
- Hip Bursitis
- Lower back Pain
- Shin Splints
BOOK NOW TO SCHEDULE AN INITIAL CONSULTATION